Current Rules & Restrictions as of June 1st, 2021
The Southgate Veterans Memorial Library will be open its normal hours of Monday – Thursday 10am – 9pm, and Saturdays 10am – 5pm. Restrictions on visits and options are in place.
- Library occupancy is limited to 30 people; this includes library staff. Staff will be monitoring this number; you may be asked to wait if the library is full.
- Limit of One (1) hour per day in the library.
- Computer access is similarly reduced to one (1) hour per day. Please plan your computer use ahead of time, making sure you have passwords, documents, flash drives, etc., all prepared and ready to use. Staff can provide only limited assistance with computer questions.
- Individuals who are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (2 weeks past the date they received their final vaccine dose) may enter the library without a mask. Social distancing guidelines are still required.
- For those not vaccinated, masks, covering both the nose and mouth, will be required for entry into the library and for the duration of your visit. An exception is made for children under the age of 2, as well as for those who are medically unable to wear a mask. If you do not have a mask upon entry, please ask for one at the front desk
- Staff will be disinfecting areas of high contact at set intervals throughout the day, to try and reduce the likelihood of contamination. Cleaning staff will be performing more thorough cleaning and disinfecting daily.
- Curbside service continues to be available, using lockers located at the front entrance. Simply call ahead, we’ll take down your information, and give you a locker number and combination. Then, you pick up your items at your leisure, without needing to come inside.
- Please do not come to the library if you feel unwell. Patrons exhibiting symptoms of COVID-19, such as shortness of breath, coughing, fever, etc., will be asked to leave.
- Please maintain social distancing as best you can while in the library. We have narrow aisles, that do not allow for easy passing; please wait until other patrons have moved on, walk further around to reach your destination. The floor near the front desk will be marked with appropriate places to stand while waiting for assistance.
If we all work together, we can beat this pandemic, and keep the library open. It’s up to all of us to do the best we can, for ourselves and for each other. We hope to provide the best service possible while staying safe!
Sign up for a library card remotely
We are now offering the opportunity to sign up for a library card remotely! Any Southgate resident who does not have a card, or who needs to update an old card, can send us their information, and we will reply with everything you need to gain access to our digital collection. If you already have a card beginning with 29014, you should be set; this is for new cards and updates only.
To get a new or updated card number, send the following information to the Director, Don Priest, through email, with the subject heading "New Library Card".
- First Name
- Last Name
- Phone Number
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Once we are able to, we will enter your information into the system, and send you your card number and PIN. It may take a day or two, as staff is only in the building for a few hours a week. This card number will be good for 3 months. To extend its lifespan, and to retrieve the physical card, you will need to come in when we are open again, and provide proof of identity and address (drivers license is ideal). We'll fill in the rest of the details of your account, and you'll be set for the standard 3 years.
To find our digital offerings, go to https://www.southgate.lib.mi.us/eBooks/eBooks.html
Stay home, and stay safe!
2021 Summer Reading Has Begun!
Summer Reading has begun! This year, you can keep track of your own reading online, as well as unlock cool avatars and certificates, by using our new Wandoo Reader website. If you would prefer to sign up in person and keep track of your reading on paper, we can do that instead! Either way, once you are registered, you can pick up a new tote bag at the library with information about the program and a few goodies. Then, after you've logged 15 hours of reading time over the summer, you will get to pick out three prizes and a book to keep, as well as being entered into the raffle for one of our big prizes!
MiLibraryQuest: Summer 2021
You find a large mammal with two parallel horns on its head
See the MiLibraryQuest website to identify this animal and for information about how to discover more animals and enter for your chance to win a prize.
New "Take and Make" craft kits available
Small kits are available for families to take home and keep that contain most of what you need to make one of the small crafts that would normally feature after our story times, or as standalone events. These can be picked up from a table in our lobby, or if you prefer you can call us to arrange to have one or more put in a locker for you. These kits have proven to be very popular, and all are available only while supplies last, so don't wait on these!
Sorry for the delay getting the new kits out, turns out librariers are having supply chain problems too. One kit for now, but it's fun for all ages: a miniature ladderball set!